- Minimum Predictive Discrepancy Parameter Estimation
(Postscript, PDF). A very rough, preliminary writeup of
some ideas I've been toying with since 1998, but haven't yet had the
chance to put into practice.
- Efficient computation of statistics for banded multivariate normal
PDF). How to efficiently compute (linear
time) the mean vector and and a central band of the covariance matrix of a
multivariate normal distribution, given a banded precision matrix.
- Notes on Jaynes's Treatment of the Marginalization Paradox
- Constructing a logic of plausible
inference: a guide to Cox's Theorem
(Postscript, PDF), K. S. Van Horn, International Journal of
Approximate Reasoning 34, no. 1 (Sept. 2003), pp. 3-24. Reviews
Cox's Theorem, explicitly listing the assumptions required and discussing (1)
the intuition and reasoning behind these requirements, and (2) the most
important objections to these requirements. (Preprint)
- Comments on `Constructing a logic of plausible inference: a
guide to Cox's Theorem', by Kevin S. Van Horn
IJAR 35, no. 1 (Jan. 2004), pp. 97-105. Comments by Glenn
Shafer (of Dempster-Shafer belief function theory).
Response to Shafer's comments
K. S. Van Horn,
IJAR 35, no. 1 (Jan. 2004), pp. 107-110.